Absolute Favorite Books

Absolute Favorite Books

Own the Wind
Reckless
Motorcycle Man
Wild Man
Lady Luck
Rock Chick Revenge
Leave Me Breathless
Undeniable
Nobody's Perfect
Thoughtless
Effortless
Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades Freed
Tied with Me
My Unexpected Forever
Rule
The Reluctant Dom
Trouble
Wild and Free


KC -- Reading Is My Superpower's favorite books »
Welcome%20To%20The%20Madness%20

Monday, July 21, 2014

Review: Hard Roads by Lily White


Hard Roads
Hard Roads by Lily White

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



4.0 - 4.5 stars
I really wish they gave us 1/2 stars as an option....

Ok... so....here we go...

It is always a struggle writing a review for one of Lily's books because I don't want to give anything away. You simply have to be able to read her books without knowing anything to be able to get the full effect.

This book was full of some really crazy scenes. Some that left me wondering just how in the world the author comes up with them. And then has this ability to write them in a way that almost makes them beautiful. I know, I know, sounds totally weird. And I can't really explain it, you just have to experience it.

Hard Roads is not your typical MC story, which is what I loved about it. And the only reason I felt like I couldn't give it 5 stars, is because I have come to expect deep darkness in a Lily book. And I get all giddy and excited when a new one comes out. Now, don't get me wrong, this def had darkness to it. It just didn't have the darkness that I crave from the author.

JD was lush. Hard around the edges, alpha to his core, not afraid to stand up for what he believes in, and a life story and purpose that you are not expecting. He blew my mind. I loved him. It took me a while to warm up to him, but once his story started to unfold, and I could see what had driven him to do the things he had done, my heart swelled and my love poured out. I wanted to hold him close and tell him everything was going to be ok. He had this softness to him that not everyone knew about. He hid it well behind his tough man, bad boy exterior. But once you were in there, he melted your heart.

Holly is the daughter of the MC president. Tough as nails, with the mouth of a sailor. She is a fighter through and through. She does not take any mess of the boys, and gives as good as she gets. She hates her life. She hates the MC, and she wants as far away as she can get. Little does she know that her life would change in the blink of an eye. With the life she has been forced to live, and the things that happen to her, most would fold. She is strong, she is a fighter, she is not a victim but a survivor. She finds a way to keep going, and has an inner strength I envy.

Holly and JD meet under strained circumstances, and JD is part of a rival club. Neither is looking for anyone. Neither wants anyone. Each are on their own mission in life. When situations force them together, they find themselves on a road they never expected to travel.

I loved the overall message in this book. It is heavily plot based, which is different for the author. I read it in one go (aside from having to sleep) because I just had to know what was going on. And as all the pieces started to come together, it painted a picture that I wasn't really expecting to see. But through the pain and tragedy that Holly is forced to endure, she has this way of seeing the glass 1/2 full..

"We can't hate on the pain and tragedy that form our lives, because it might be what's needed to lead us to our destiny. People meet and become acquainted in the events and turmoil that shape us into who we were meant to become. But most importantly, I would tell any person who will listen that in the end, it doesn't matter how our paths intersect, because when it comes down to the basic truth of our lives.......we're all stuck traveling down Hard Roads."



I can't wait to see what the next book brings.....



View all my reviews