Absolute Favorite Books

Absolute Favorite Books

Own the Wind
Reckless
Motorcycle Man
Wild Man
Lady Luck
Rock Chick Revenge
Leave Me Breathless
Undeniable
Nobody's Perfect
Thoughtless
Effortless
Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades Freed
Tied with Me
My Unexpected Forever
Rule
The Reluctant Dom
Trouble
Wild and Free


KC -- Reading Is My Superpower's favorite books »
Welcome%20To%20The%20Madness%20

Friday, October 3, 2014

Review: The Bonus


The Bonus
The Bonus by A.J. Adams

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Bloody Brilliant...

Once in a while you come across a new author (or at least new to you) that once you have read a few chapters, you claim them as one of your new favorite authors. And that is exactly what I did as I read The Bonus.

I wasn't sure what to expect as I went into this one. I read it because I had signed up to do a review for The Songbird (which is book 2 in this series). When I realized this one came before Songbird, I decided to read it in case I would need it to understand what I was reading in Songbird. Turns out, both can be read as stand alones, but since book 2 is about a character introduced to you in The Bonus, Iam sure I made the right decision. And, even if it wasn't "needed" to understand book 2, I am glad I decided to read it because I loved it.

Iam a dark read, thriller, who done it, mafia loving book girl. And The Bonus did not let me down. I started reading it and didn't stop until I was finished. It was one of those books that you don't want to put down, but sleep and work are important, so you force yourself to stop reading at 2am.

Kyle was delicious. He was not easy to figure out and he remained a puzzle almost right until the very end. I couldn't decide if he was a good guy or a bad guy. And I dont mean good and on the right side of the law. Because he was most assuredly on the wrong side of the law. But good as in, deep down who he was. As an enforcer for the Mafia, he was part of a world I don't even want to try and understand. But, through the world of fiction, men can manage to be good, while still walking on the wrong side of the line... think Tony Soprano. That is who Kyle reminded me of. The man that is doing all kinds of messed up stuff, but keeps it out of the house and everyone knows what he is doing, its just not talked about.

Chloe finds herself in a jacked up situation after she makes a really really bad choice. Im struggling to explain how I feel about her, because I don't want to give to much away. But, Chloe has spent her entire life going from one bad situation to another. Never knowing true freedom. Living day to day by the orders of another, or paying a price that no human (or animal) should have to pay. How in the world she managed to survive even a 1/4 of the things she did, is beyond my realm of understanding. Her inner strength and will to live amazed me. Iam almost 100% sure I would of taken myself out at some point.

This entire book was a page turner. No dead spots. No line skimming. No jumping chapters. It was one of those books that you got so excited about you found yourself confused because you missed something in your eagerness to keep reading. So you have to back track a bit and figure out what you missed and then move along. And one of the things I enjoyed the most, was although you pretty much knew what was coming, you really didn't know what was coming. Nothing happened the way you figured it would happen.

Another thing I found interesting was the way it was written. It was written in a way that as you read, it was like Chloe and Kyle talking to you. Some of the little side notes had me laughing. As Chloe started to become her own person her snarky inner diva came out and she was a trip. She had this dry sense of humor that would have me giggling. And the entire book felt like she was sitting across from me telling her story. I have not read many books that are written well like this.

As I finished reading, I was already geared up for the next book. I can not wait to dive in and see how the next one unfolds.





View all my reviews