Absolute Favorite Books

Absolute Favorite Books

Own the Wind
Reckless
Motorcycle Man
Wild Man
Lady Luck
Rock Chick Revenge
Leave Me Breathless
Undeniable
Nobody's Perfect
Thoughtless
Effortless
Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades Freed
Tied with Me
My Unexpected Forever
Rule
The Reluctant Dom
Trouble
Wild and Free


KC -- Reading Is My Superpower's favorite books »
Welcome%20To%20The%20Madness%20

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Review -- Emerged by Marissa Honeycutt

Emerged (The Life of Anna #5)Emerged by Marissa Honeycutt

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Didn't hate it. didn't love it.

I feel like the air was taken out of my sails. I don't know if my expectations were too high?? Based on all the reviews, and the warning from the author, I was expecting dark dark twisted dark. But what I feel like I got was -- meh... I have read way darker, crazier, more twisted than these books. And honestly, I feel like the "dark" title has been given to it based on the sex slave aspect of the series. I just personally do not consider the constant rape of a woman the reason to label a series as dark. If you haven't read the series, then that may not make sense. But it's hard to review and explain my feelings without giving anything away.

I read the 1st book. I was tempted to dnf it, but I got curious about the under ground society aspect of the book with the hint of paranormal twist. Unfortunately, I wanted more in depth info about the society. And I was met with page after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page (well you get the idea) of nothing but all the ways a human can rape another human. Blah.. moving on...

I began book 2. I dnf'd around 25% because I just couldn't read another 9 million pages of nothing but this poor woman getting raped. And I decided at that point the reason the series was labeled dark romance was purely on the continous raping and sex slave aspects.

I skipped 3 and 4 completely. And jumped to this one, book 5 because I was curious to see how it would end. Thinking worse case scenerio, I would have to back track and either read the other books, or just throw in the towel. I was met with another 9 million pages of the same old things from the 1st book, plus a small bit of the mystery surrounding the plot. And you know what??? I never felt lost. Even without reading books 2, 3 or 4 I was able to follow along and understand what was happening. This book was drawn out and I felt alot of it could of been left out and not been missed. I actually ended up doing alot of skimming thru. And I still didn't get lost or not be able to figure out what was going on. *Sigh*

so.. sounds like a horrible review??? I know... But Iam not one to sugar coat things. And if you follow my reviews, you already know this about me. So why did I end up giving this 3 stars instead of 1 or 2 or a dnf?? Because the story was origional. Because I liked the majority of the characters. (Anna, btw, is not one of my top favorite female leads.) Because it was well written. Because I liked the paranormal twist. And if the author had given more details about the underground society and the paranormal parts of the series I think I would of rated higher. But as it stands I feel like I was sold 5 books with 9 million pages each, of nothing but the play by play of a woman being raped and beaten. With the added "bonus" of her falling in insta love with every guy she meets and some beautiful dancing thrown in to lighten the load. Dark and twisted?? Umm.. no. Not in my opinion. I am a dark romance junky. And I would label this one darkish... and compared to the dark dark twisted books I've read, this one didn't even come close to measuring up. I feel so let down. Almost betrayed. After reading reviews and all of the author warnings, I was geared up for sleepless nights and haunted dreams... I got lack luster reading and the need to force myself to keep reading..... oh well... moving on.... Next!!!!!!



View all my reviews